We hope you’ll join us in Bethel, Missouri on Sunday, December 8th, for the annual “Christmas in Bethel” celebration.
The colonists observed many “fete” days such as Easter, Christmas, New Years, harvest feasts, Independence Day and others with music, singing, dancing and visiting. On these occasions tables were loaded with all the good things the German kitchen and cellar could offer. Everyone was welcome and many came. At Christmas time there were two large decorated trees in the church. The celebration began at four o’clock in the morning at the church with singing and band music and then a sermon, after which all the children were given candy, apples, cakes and cookies. The two trees were left until New Year’s when the gifts were given to everyone.
These days the festivities don’t start at 4am, but there will be activities for children and adults alike on December 8th.
Food, Historic Tour, Live Music, Gift Vendors, Santa, and More
Held in Historic Downtown Bethel, Missouri
• Fest Hall Restaurant – Serving smorgasbord 11am to 2pm (smoked sausage, turkey, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, German potato salad, dressing, noodles, salad bar). Enjoy cookies and drinking custard with your meal, or purchase separately. Serving soup and sandwiches throughout the day.
• Food Stand – Candied Pecans, Hot Cocoa and Cider, Funnel Cakes, and other Christmas Goodies from 11am to 4:30pm.
• Das Bakery – Homemade Donuts, Pies, Cinnamon Rolls, and Pastries
ENTERTAINMENT & ACTIVITIES: IN THE COLONY BARN
We’ll be heating the Barn, so it should be comfortable no matter what the weather!
• Bethel Christian Church Youth Choir at Noon
• Santa Arrives to Greet Children and Sit for DIY Photos
• Live Local Performers, Bingo, and Christmas Karaoke — Christian Church Children’s Choir at noon followed by Liz Miles, Liz & Luke Reitz, Luke Reitz, Heartland Ensemble, Dennis & Courtney Culler, Bethel Quartet
• Candy Cane Hunt for Kids
• Shopping: Vendors in the Colony Barn, plus Simply Creative, and other vendors throughout town, 10am to 5pm
• Children’s Crafts and Shopping in Decades Olde
COLONY HOME TOURS
• Purchase $10 tickets at the Gift Shop beginning at 11:00am. Tours include Elim, Bair, Fanny’s & JG Bauer. (Number of tickets is limited to only one bus tour; no private vehicles will be admitted.) Bus will board at 2:00pm near the Gift Shop.
VESPER SERVICE & CANDLELIGHT WALK
• Vespers – 5pm at United Methodist Church, followed by a candlelight walk to the Historic Bandstand for the official lighting of Bethel.
• Homemade Soup & Sandwiches at the Fest Hall ($5) following the lighting